Writer ~ Editor ~ Creator

Writer ~ Editor ~ Creator

Entertainer, Humanitarian, Author, Lover but most importantly, Kenji's Human

Sunday, July 17, 2011

ICE CREAM!!

My tribute to Ice Cream!

July is National Ice Cream Month and July 17th is National Ice Cream Day, so I must blog about one of America's favorite sugary sensations! Let's start with a little bit of history......I remember when I wrote a report in elementary school on Italy, ice cream was invented in my homeland. It is believed Nero the Emperor of Rome would have snow brought down from the mountains and combine it with nectar, fruit pulp and honey. Centuries later, the first ice cream parlor was opened in the U.S. in 1776.

We cannot talk about ice cream without mentioning the beloved ice cream cone! Italo Marchiony sold his homemade ice cream from a pushcart on Wall Street. In an effort to prevent his customers from breaking or wandering off with his serving glasses he began baking edible waffle cups with sloping sides and a flat bottom which he patented in 1903 and the ice cream (cone) bowl was invented! 

There are a variety of ways ice cream can be enjoyed; in a bowl, cone, or as a cake, in between cookies, whoopee pies  or as an ice cream sandwich. My favorite ice cream sandwich is the one I have enjoyed since I was a child It's It. Invented in 1928 made just outside San Francisco; I love both the mint chip and coffee flavors of ice cream which are squeezed between two oatmeal cookies and covered in dark chocolate! Yum! 

Ice cream is also enjoyed over brownies drizzled in hot fudge, blondies, coconut, caramel and graham cracker creations, on pies, cakes, you name it. My fave all time non-traditional ice cream treat is pumpkin ice cream over warm gingerbread. The first time I enjoyed this treat was at the Time Cafe in The Village (N.Y.C.) where my girl Steph was a waitress. Ah, the good 'ol days....

Ice Cream has come a long way from snow, nectar and pushcarts. Today's flavors literally run the gamut from America's most popular flavor vanilla (booooring!) to decadent delights such as Black Velvet, Malted Belgian and White Chocolate Raspberry. There are unique flavors that sound like they are straight out of my spice rack like Lemon Opal Basil, Honey Ginger or Apricot Rosemary from Creole Creamery. How about flavors that contain ingredients you might expect to find on a plate like Maple Bacon, Banana Nut Bread, Roasted Jalapeno and Peanut Butter and Jelly. Lets not forgot the cocktail flavors; Butter Beer, Blueberry Mojito, Rum Bisque or Cucumber Mint Vodka from Dolcezza Gelato. Sounds dangerous! 


Not only do today's ice cream flavors contain unique, crazy and sometimes bizarre ingredients, the names are also out of the ordinary! How about Dutch Utopia, Imagine World Peace by Ben & Jerry's; Caramel & Sweet Cream Ice Creams Swirled with Fudge Peace Signs & Toffee Cookie Pieces.... really peace signs? Luv it! I have to say Ben & Jerry's has cornered the market on unique flavors, names and ingredients. Check out Late Nite Snack; Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with a Salty Caramel Swirl & Fudge Covered Potato Chip Clusters. Yes, Potato Chip Clusters! Crazy! A few other odd names out there in the world of ice cream include: Dementor’s Cloud, Triwizard Treat and Gryffindor Tower inspired by the Harry Potter series and are available at Amy's Ice Cream.
Birthday Cake Remix
 


My personal favorite Birthday Cake remix from Cold Stone Creamery with cake batter ice cream! Did I mention when I bake a cake I eat half the batter before it makes it's way to the oven? Those are a few of my favorite ice cream treats. What are yours?



1 comment:

  1. I am Lactose Intolerant...so, I am really not into ice cream all like that...but when I do enjoy it, the best ice cream is Rocky Road!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!